on the way to history






[wearing: obey tee, old skool vans, sportsgirl bag (similar)]

There's just something special about wearing a massive oversized mens' tee as a dress. You don't need to think too hard about what shoes and accessories to pair it with, you just chuck on anything and you're good to go. This is, however, a summer piece, and it's already getting cooler here in Perth. Summer is undoubtedly not my favourite season, but these past few summer months have opened my eyes to new fashion choices. That sounds weird lel, but it really has! My love for summer fashion has developed strongly these past few months. Crop tops, kimonos, frayed high-waisted denim shorts, Havaianas, t-shirt dresses - I really enjoyed them, and as much as I hate saying this, I'm kind of going to miss summer. Don't get me wrong, I'm an autumn/winter girl all the way, but for as long as the sun shines and the heat pierces my skin for the next few weeks, I shall savour each and every moment.

In other news, these shots were taken on Wednesday, a.k.a. history day. I was my way to my history class. If you didn't know already, I am currently pursuing a double major in university, and one of those majors is none other than History. This time last year, I began to develop an interest a deep love for History. The stories, the myths, the people, the researching, the interpreting, the formulating of arguments - everything. I fell in love with it all. I know that we shouldn't be dwelling in the past, but the thing about history is, you need to understand what happened in the past to learn things from it. In my opinion, understanding history isn't just figuring out what happened, where it happened, and who was involved. Rather, it is about figuring out the why's and the what-if's. It is understanding the mindsets and the language of the people that is vital to understanding history. Knowing history is simply that - knowing it. Being a historian, however, is interpreting, filling in the gaps, asking questions. This may well be extremely boring for many people, but to me, it's fascinating. As nerdy as that sounds, I love history, and I'm going to continue to study it, even though job prospects in the field are very limited and narrow. I'm still learning, but I'm going to do my best in every step of the way.

(Courtesy to my super smart, talented, award-winning colleague and friend, Kathleen, for taking these shots.)

ex oh,
ANNEKE

No comments:

Post a Comment